Thursday, March 4, 2010

It's Raining Again...

Well, I awoke today to the sound of heavy rain.  All I could think of was, "Oh no, not again!"  The mud around here was just starting to dry up.  Then it hit me...I have yet to hear ANY rain from my CHU.  Remember, this is about 5am, so I am not up to my genius level of thinking yet.  Now I start to think, "Is someone using the shower next door?"  And it sounded louder than that.  Is my toilet running? ...it is relatively silent, so it couldn't be that.  Then I thought, "Is someone using MY Shower?"  My door was still locked, so probably not.  So now I get up and investigate.  I have to show you some pictures so you can see what I am talking about.  I have a water heater in my CHU.  It hangs from the ceiling.  It has hoses, the kind that you would connect from your washing machine to the faucets...they are located at the bottom of the water heater.  The hose coming from the (extremely) hot water out part decided that it no longer wanted to participate in the relationship any longer.  By the time I was awakened, it had completely separated from the water heater.  My bathroom was about an inch deep in surprisingly comfortable water.  When I tried to put the hose back I discovered that in order for it to be comfortable after being on the floor, it had to be almost scalding coming from the heater!  I got it back on there after getting it all over the place and it stayed rather dry (so I could clean up) for about 10 minutes...then I got to witness the whole process all over again.  Luckily, I was able to get my XO over to help get the furniture out of there, and he was able to turn the cold water off to the CHU so the tank would stop filling up (and could eventually drain).  There is no shut-off valve on the thing, so the only thing you can do is let it drain or cap it off.  I was fresh out of caps at 0500 in the morning.  There is also no obvious way to turn the thing off, and the cap at the bottom with the wires sticking out was wet...so I was going nowhere near that.  Even with all of the hot water turned on, it still would not stay on very good, so I had to go the bucket route.  And the heating element kept heating until about 1000 when the guy came to fix it.  When the guy came with new hoses, he replaced the one that was bad, but not the other...hmm.  Didn't have any plumbers tape, either, so of course, it is slightly still leaking (about a drop every minute or so).  But I was able to shower, which is the key thing.  I suspect I will see that guy again...

From what I understand, this happens quite often, and only to the best of us...so apparently, my CHU has accepted me as being worthy of my occupancy, and I can now go on with my life with the assurance of...well, nothing.  But it was a fun morning.  The food smelled good when I dropped off my laundry this afternoon, so I think that I may stay here for dinner.  Don't eat too many meals at our base, because it is basically local food, but occasionally they cook up some great food.  They have made some BBQ Ribs that would put Dreamland to shame...and I just don't throw compliments like that around, especially about ribs.  Anyway, speaking of dinner...I am off to see the wizard!

Later Taters...

No comments:

Post a Comment