Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Seriously...I hate it...I really hate Hiller!

In all seriousness, I hate sending reports to people who sit at desks all day.  I don't like keeping those that have no clue informed on my day-to-day activities.  I especially don't like it when someone who sits at a desk, has access to both sides of the net sends me emails with a "Check your SIPR" immediately on it...especially when they know I just left that computer 10 minutes ago.  I have both computers, I even have them sitting at desks...but they are a 10 minute walk away from each other!

Today was all about togetherness for my team.  One of our guys brought in local food from home, which was awesome, and then we had our first team dinner.  I am trying my best to bring together a team of guys that has a mixture of experiences and backgrounds...and so far we aren't trying to kill each other.  I am still trying to assess each persons comfort levels on the tasks I give them.  Part of what I am trying to do is let people naturally slide into the comfort zones and then I can see where they will operate at peak efficiency.    Then I can start to challenge them.

The Army has pretty much cut off all of the funds that used to be available for us to help out our counterparts, so I, as well as my team, have resorted to the Army's version of garbage pickers.  There is this lot called DRMO (Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office) where units go to turn in the crap that they don't want before they redeploy.  Then we go in there and see if their junk is our treasure.  We have found two server rack mounting systems, 4 shelving systems, many (many) tools, an entire phone system, a high-powered Windows Server, plenty of UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) systems, cases of paper, boxes of office supplies (but no sharpies), and power strips in every variety.  We are, after all, putting together a simulation center and need lots of stuff.  The thing is, they should be getting this stuff for themselves...only it doesn't exist in their supply system yet - and we don't have money anymore to buy it for them.  We did find a case of deep-woods Off, though, so at least we got something for ourselves!  I almost forgot the best part...there is this CPT there that does nothing but sit in an office and run the place...and run.  I guess he is a big time runner, so that is about the only thing he does besides sit in that office and sign people into the yard.  He is like Fred Sanford, only lazier on the job, and more active away from the job.  I wish I had his job.  I wonder if he has a wife named Elizabeth?  Anyway, I suspect he is going to become my most visited person.

Time to watch hockey.

Go U.S.A!

Later

2 comments:

  1. Jeff--
    I have really enjoyed reading all your post! You are an excellent writer, Keep Up The Good Work! I'm looking forward to more.

    When you get back home I'd like to make it a point for us to either 1) see a hockey game together or 2) find you some equipment and play with one of my teams for a night.

    Since both involve drinking a couple beers, let's do both!

    --Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll settle for a Blackhawks or Wolves Game...and lots of beer!

    ReplyDelete